Friday 14 April 2017

Dead Poets Society #34 Alan Dugan: Fabrication of Ancestors



Fabrication of Ancestors by Alan Dugan
FOR OLD BILLY DUGAN, SHOT IN THE ASS IN THE CIVIL WAY, MY FATHER SAID

The old wound in my ass
has opened up again, but I
am past the prodigies
of youth’s campaigns, and weep
where I used to laugh
in war’s red humors, half
in love with silly-assed pains
and half not feeling them.
I have to sit up with
an indoor unsittable itch
before I go down late
and weeping to the storm-
cellar on a dirty night
and go to bed with the worms.
So pull the dirt up over me
and make a family joke
for Old Billy Blue Balls,
the oldest private in the world
with two ass-holes and no
place more to go to for a laugh
except the last one. Say:
The North won the Civil War
without much help from me
although I wear a proof
of the war’s obscenity.


No comments:

Post a Comment