Wednesday 25 March 2009

Women in Music #5




Last night I dreamed that I won a Grammy;
it was presented to me by Debbie Harry.
I ran up on stage in my tux;
I gulped and I said, "Aw shucks;
I'd like to thank my producer and Jesus Christ."

The audience gave me a standing ovation
I shed tears of joy;
I shed tears of elation.
Behind the podium there,
Debbie grabbed my derriere
and I'd like to thank my producer and Jesus Christ.

I took my Grammy and Debbie
and I walked offstage;
we made the cover of Cashbox and the Random Notes page.

In the weeks that followed
things went fine for me:
an Oscar, a Tony and an Emmy;
Bo Derek and Barbara Mandrell;
a Pulitzer and a Nobel;
Meryl Streep and Tammi Terell;
five gold and one bronze as well;
Joan Rivers and Lana Cantrell;
I'd like to thank my producer and Jesus Christ

Loudon Wainwright III - The Grammy Song; from Fame and Wealth (1983):

No comments:

Post a Comment