Saturday 17 April 2010

The Collected Poems of Ian Hamilton


http://www.faber.co.uk/work/ian-hamilton-collected-poems/9780571227365/

THE FORTIES

'The self that has survived those trashy years',
Its 'austere virtue' magically intact. Well then,
He must have asked himself, is this
The 'this is it'; that encapsulable Life
I never thought to find
And didn't seek: beginning at the middle
So that in the end
The damage is outlived by the repair?

At forty-five
I'm father of the house now and at dusk
You'll see me take my 'evening stroll'
Down to the dozing lily pond:
From our rear deck, one hundred and eleven yards.
And there I'll pause, half-sober, without pain
And seem to listen; but no longer 'listen out'.
And at my back,
Eight windows, a veranda, the neat plot
For your (why not?) 'organic greens',
The trellis that needs fixing, that I'll fix.

THE STORM

Miles off, a storm breaks. It ripples to our room.
you look up into the light so it catches one side
Of your face, your tight mouth, your startled eye.
You turn to me and when I call you come
Over and kneel beside me, wanting me to take
Your head between my hands as if it were
A delicate bowl that the storm might break.
You want me to get between you and the brute thunder.
Settling on your flesh my great hands stir,
Pulse on you and then, wondering how to do it, grip.
The storm rolls through me as your mouth opens.

BIOGRAPHY

Who turned the page? When I went out
Last night, his Life was left wide-open,
half-way through, in lamplight on my desk:
The Middle Years.
Now look at him. Who turned the page?'

No comments:

Post a Comment